Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An Autumn Table











I am a little pressed for time this week, as Mr. Pearl and I are leaving for Charleston on Thursday, sans mini-pearls - Woohoo! Next week though, I plan to have a treasure trove of goodness, as the Fall Tour of Homes and Gardens is going on in Charleston, and I will be touring! Stay tuned!

This table is one that I designed for the Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Beta Phi Design Inspirations luncheon last March. The local alumni chapters host this fund-raising event each year and it is always wonderful! My theme for the table was "I suwanee.." and was a tribute to strong, Southern women. The table really had a "fall" feeling, so I hope it will inspire you all as you begin to bring a touch of fall into your homes.

The foundation of the table was a burlap table cloth. I then used brown transfer ware dishes, my Francis I silver, Mason jar glasses, antler sheds, feathers, shells, bird nests, vintage buttons, children's cowboy boots (lovingly worn-in by my husband and my boys as toddlers) crusty architectural fragments and a scattering of "Southern" sayings printed on fans that I placed around the table. I tucked-in a few, delicate ferns and a tiny orchid that was under a cloche. I also used some vintage books, propped open with bits of twine and more vintage silver. For the chairbacks, I hemmed simple rectangles of duck fabric and attached wide, brown ribbon sashes to the sides and then simply painted the monogram on the back. The monogram is one that I have used throughout my home and theses chair covers are now on chairs in my sunroom. The overall look was a casual elegance with a personal touch and close attention to detail. I always like to tuck little details into my tables, so that as everyone is sitting and eating, they will discover something that they hadn't seen before.
Happy Autumn!
Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment