Friday, September 10, 2010

Flashback Friday - September 11, 2001

I normally reserve "Flashback Friday" for a little light-hearted fun, however, today I found myself reflecting about September 10, 2001. The day before life, as we all as Americans had known it, changed forever. I was the happy mom of a three year old Fisherman and a three month old Sweet Pea. Life was wonderful and I was excited about a Sip-n-See my mom was having to honor Sweet Pea on September 11th. Then, the next morning, the unthinkable happened. We all know where we were and what we were doing. The morning, started out as normal. I dropped Fisherman off at preschool and was headed to the doctor for Sweet Pea's three month check-up. I swung back by the house before the appointment and turned on the TV to watch Good Morning America, just in time to watch "live" as the second plane hit the World Trade Center. I went and picked-up Fisherman from school. He went to preschool at a church in the downtown area of our city, and the downtown was closed-down. I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, holding my babies and praying. The Sip-n-See went on as planned, but it took on a more somber note. Being in the company of dear friends was such a comfort for all of us.

So, today on this Flashback Friday, take a moment to remember. It is ok to feel sad. Sad for the innocent victims and their families. Sad for the loss of our innocence as a country and all of the freedoms that were so often taken for granted. But, in the midst of the sadness, celebrate the heroic stories of bravery and selflessness that came out of this event. Celebrate the fact that we are still the "land of the free and the home of the brave". Celebrate those that fight and serve our country to keep us that way. Celebrate the fact that we are free to pray and worship where we choose. And pray. Pray for peace and for hope. Pray for our leaders and guidance for them. Pray for the next generation - that they will always be able to live freely in this great country of ours. And forgive.

Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment