Friday, October 29, 2010

Flashback Friday - Mini-pearl Halloween

Here we are - another Friday is upon us! My neighborhood is alive with blow-up pumpkins, ghosts and goblins, fake tombstones and rotting jack-o-lanterns. Yes, Halloween is this weekend (thank the Lord) and after a whirlwind of parties and a sugar-induced coma, I will be able to concentrate on Thanksgiving! (This is one of my favorite days!) The mini-pearls are excited out of their minds! Sport Cort is dressing as a skeleton with a sword (emphasis on the sword). He wanted plastic numchucks but I had to draw the line somewhere. A plastic sword will do. Sweet Pea is going as "Aunt Jilly-Bob". This is a character that she made-up all by herself! She and her friends love to perform "shows" when they get together and this is one of her characters. Aunt Jilly-Bob is an old lady with glasses and a cane. We purchased a gray wig, granny glasses, a cane and a flowery dress and SAS shoes from Goodwill. She can't wait! Oh how I miss the princess and fairy costumes of yesteryear! Fisherman started out wanting to wear a shirt that said "person" on it. Don't you love adolescent humor? He has a big party on Friday and I reminded him that he would regret not having a "real" costume. After a brainstorming session and a lot of rejected ideas, Fisherman decided to go as (wait for it) Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard. This is Fisherman's favorite show. We are modifying a Saturday Night Fever, white three piece suit. The look is hilarious!

This year the mini-pearls really seem grown-up to me. They no longer want any type of Disney character and they have their own ideas and opinions about their costumes. I am the only one that has a hard time with this. It's hard to let go! I may be acting a little dramatic here, as this is coming on the heels of them telling me that they no longer want their picture made with Santa.(a tradition of the last thirteen years!) So, with a smile on my face, I will embrace their ideas and enjoy the weekend, as their excitement is contagious, but I can be sad on the inside if I want to! Here are a few pics of Halloween's past and the mini-pearls when they were mini.

This was after 9/11 - a firefighter and a dalmation

Sweet Pea as a fairy princess

One of my favorites! This was the "Princess and the Pea and a Knight"

This is Sport Cort as a TCU Horned Frog- and yes, that's me. I am not always a party pooper!

The Mini-Pearls in Neverland - Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Captain Hook

Have a safe and Happy Halloween!

Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment