Friday, October 1, 2010

Flashback Friday - Oktober Fest and German Dancing



Guten tag! I can't believe that it is already October. I really love October. I love that the leaves are changing color. I love being able to open the windows in the morning and enjoy the crisp air with my morning coffee. I love that football season is in full-swing and I can once again wear my cowboy boots and comfy jeans without sweating to death. I love the pumpkins on my front porch and the candy corn on the coffee table. I love October!

My love of October might also have something to do with the fact that I am part German and Germans love "Oktober". I have always been partial to this part of my heritage. In high school foreign language, instead of taking the always practical Spanish or the romantic French, I took German. I felt like such a rebel! The crowd that took German was an ultra-cool bunch that were the intellectual types - a "coffee house" kind of group before there were coffee houses. I, the bubbly, bow-headed cheerleader, was so excited to be a part of such a group. Frau Reid was our teacher and she got everyone interested in participating in the German Club and competing at German Club competitions. One of these competitions was in German dancing. Yes, you heard me, German dancing. Think the Lindler (performed in the Sound of Music ). Think guys in Leiderhosen slapping their thighs and hopping around. Think girls in dirndls (albeit homemade my some one's mother). We had a BLAST! We also performed at the State Fair. Hey - STOP laughing. It was fun! It also drew a lot of attention on my resume. You don't see "competitive German dancer" everyday!

German Club babes in our dirndls

action shot

Ok, parts of it are a little like square dancing!
So, to celebrate October, I thought I would share some of my German dance pictures and some pics from the trip that Mr. Pearl and I took to Germany in 1997. Grab a beer and some schnitzel and enjoy!

a cow walking down the main street in Garmish-Partenkirchen

Real German men, in real German Alpini hats - not German Club members

Oberammergau - a beautiful village


Cuckoo clock

Castle and Cathedral on the River Rhein

This is what happens after two or three of the beers we are drinking in the first pic!
Rothenburg



Landsburg Square - don't comment on that dress I am wearing


Our "fur children" in Alpini hats we brought home for them. The Mini-Pearls weren't even a grain of sand at this point! This is Weller and Wallace our beloved Corgis and they are no longer with us, so I couldn't resist when I came across this pic. They were so sweet!
Frohlich Wochenende!
(Happy Weekend)


Krissy


1 comment: