Friday, March 18, 2011

Flashback Friday- Hog Wild Spring Break 2011




Spring Break 2011 is finally coming to a close - thank the Lord! We had a "staycation" around here, and now that it is said and done, I am happy that we did. Sweet Pea and I spent some quality girl time together. We rode roller coasters at Six Flags, got our nails done, went shopping and enjoyed the quiet that not having brothers around afforded us. My boys spent most of the week in the country with my mother-in-law. They were in boy/hog heaven! Their days there consist of fishing, riding around in the "off-road vehicles" (I never get the names right, so this will save me some ridicule), feeding the cows, shooting various firearms and just being boys in the country. This is where I start to sound like a hick from the sticks... my boys went hog hunting while on their Spring Break getaway to grandma's. Yes, hog hunting. This may sound cruel, strange and even illegal to some of you, but I assure you, it isn't. You see, Texas is overrun with feral hogs and they are destroying all they come in contact with. The hogs have no natural predators and a sow can have three litters of fifteen or so piglets every fourteen months. Do the math people. That's a lot of hogs. Needless to say, there is no law against killing these creatures. My mother-in-law hooked the boys up with a guide that had a rigged-up "off-road vehicle" and some hog sniffing dogs. They drove around until the dogs caught wind of a hog and then the dogs, equipped with GPS collars, track the dogs for the humans. The humans then reach the hog and well, you know the rest. Fisherman and Sport were so proud. I had to post their pictures. How could I not? Next year, I think we will go skiing again. After hog hunting, I don't want to know what is next!
Next week is Round Top week and I am excited! Are any of you headed that way?


Note: No dogs were harmed during this undertaking. Notice the Kevlar vest on the dog in the above pic. This protects him from being hurt. Just thought I'd let ya know. In case you were wondering!

Sweet Pea update: I couldn't post on the boys and not comment on Sweet Pea. She had her school play last week, right before the break. The performance was titled Malice in the Palace and told the story of Esther. Well, the kid-friendly version anyway. Sweet Pea played a "beauty candidate" and acted, sang and danced like a star. She was in her element and it showed! Here are a few highlights. She was in the lavender boa, holding the mic.




Sooey!

Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment