Sunday, February 27, 2011

DIY - Tissue Paper Poufs



This is another crazy week, but I will have some exciting events to share, so stay tuned! One of the upcoming surprises involves the use of tissue paper poufs. I bought a kit that made three and taught myself how to construct these puppies on my own. I have made several different sizes and colors and had a ball putting them together. Sweet Pea was my assistant, so with a little patience, we decided most anyone can make these. Sweet Pea and I thought that the extra-small poufs would look adorable on top of a pretty package, a grouping of different sizes makes an interesting mobile to suspend from a ceiling in a girl's room. The poufs also make colorful centerpieces for a spring table setting. There is just no limit to their uses, so be creative!

Step 1 - I just used a package of ten sheets. This works great for small to medium poufs, but for a large size, where you use the entire length for one pouf, use fifteen sheets for fullness.

Step 2 - Take the tissue out of the bag and unfold. The cutest size is made by cutting the sheets in half, so that you can make two poufs from one package. This is where you can experiment with sizes. I cut some sheets about three-fourths of the way to make one medium size and one tiny one. Note: the tiny ones take a lot of patience to fluff, so don't get discouraged.


Step 3 - Cut the ends of each side. You can cut them with pointed-tips or rounded like waves or scallops.


Step 4 - Fold the sheets, using an accordion fold and then secure with a light gauge floral wire.

Step 5 - Fan out the sides of the sheets.


Step 6 - Start to fluff by pulling up the individual sheets and gently pulling toward the center. After you finish one side, do the same thing on the other.


Step 7 - Play around and fluff the folds to hide the center wire and make a complete circle pouf.


Step 8 - You can attach lengths of ribbon to hang your pouf, or leave it as is, and rest it in a vase or bowl.

Happy Monday!

Krissy

1 comment:

  1. I almost ordered some of these for Pretty Little Bare Feet's second birthday party, but decided against it because the room we were renting didn't allow any decorations to be hung from the ceiling. I'm glad I didn't spend money on them now! They look super-easy to DIY! =)

    ReplyDelete