Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside! (sort of)

Brrrr!!! The high yesterday was only 54! That is a cold, fall day around here. Today is only supposed to be in the 60's. I have a tradition that started with my mom when I was growing-up and I have continued it with my family. The first "cold" evening of fall is celebrated with a fine, gourmet dinner of chili and spaghetti. Never heard of it? You are missing out! BUT, before I reveal this special family recipe, I must add a disclaimer: Yes, I know what nutritious, non-processed food is. And no, we don't eat this often. So, indulge in this gooey, yummy comfort dish sometime. It is worth it!


Chili and Spaghetti - this picture says it all! Just cook your spaghetti til it's al dente and transfer drained, cooked pasta to a large pot on medium heat. Add the can of chili and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the loaf of cheese (ok, there is something so wrong about a cheese in a "loaf"). I cube the cheese so that it melts easier. I also add a splash or two of milk and salt and pepper to taste. Just stir-up the creamy goodness until the cheese is melted and dinner is served! I served sugar snap peas and apple slices on the side to make myself feel better. Hey, it made a balanced meal!



The cool, rainy weather has definitely turned my thoughts to cozy evenings with my family curled-up by the fire. The mini-pearls have asked for the "good" kind of hot cocoa. (that means "no packets, mom!"-aka Ghiradelli chocolate with milk, warmed on the stove) In my mind, we are going to spend our evenings like a Norman Rockwell painting. Mr.Pearl is reading the paper in his leather chair, I am needle pointing a project in my chair and the mini-pearls are scattered about at our feet reading classic literature and eating non-microwaved popcorn. The reality: Mr. Pearl and Fisherman watching something on the Outdoor channel, Sport Cort playing Legos or his DSI on the floor and Sweet Pea and I in the other room reading or watching our own show. Oh well, a mom can dream can't she? I do love the fall and winter evenings - picture perfect or not. The early sunsets and cool temperatures, just seem to bring our family together. Although every evening isn't spent by the fire, we do spend more time together and that I treasure. So, I hope you are able to take some time to cozy-up with your family and enjoy the fall, y'all!



Keep it chill,

Krissy

all fireplace photos from www.countryliving.com

1 comment:

  1. I need a gas fireplace so I can have a rolling fire with a push of a button!

    ReplyDelete