Thursday, November 3, 2011

Flashback Friday - Pioneer Days



Pioneer Sport - notice the Pioneer coffee in the background

How cute is this? This was at the Blacksmith shop and those boys were itchin' to get in there and play in the fire

Yesterday, I went to Log Cabin Village with Sport and his second grade class. This is a right of passage for elementary school students here in our town. I got a little sad though when I realized that this is my last Log Cabin Village adventure, unless we go on our own. I have been with all three mini-pearls - check pioneer experience off the list!

Candle making

The children all wear their best "pioneer" clothing. Normally, that means calico skirts, aprons and bonnets for the girls; jeans, flannel shirts and boots for the boys. However, a cold front blew in the night before and everyone had to wear ski coats and sweaters with their "pioneer" get-ups. They made quite a motley crew!

The Motley Crew

The village includes a working blacksmith shop, a grist mill , a school house and various cabins, one of which belonged to Cynthia Ann Parker's uncle. Cynthia Ann lived in the cabin after the Texas Rangers abducted her from her home with the Comanche Indians. Cynthia Ann was the mother of Quanah Parker. If this means nothing to you, Google it. It is quite interesting. I also recommend the book Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson about Cynthia Ann's life. (I am a huge history buff)

The Parker's dog trot cabin

The children loved the tour as much as the adults. They got to dip candles and learn how they were made. They watched a blacksmithing demonstration. This led to lots of "oohs and aahs" from Sport and his buddies. They also left with seeds to plant their own Indian corn. Sport has big plans for this. He has visions of us having our own corn maze in the backyard. I hope he isn't too disappointed when I tell him it will take more than two or three seeds and our tiny plot of land. Oh well, I will let him dream for a while.

I am thankful that I don't have to make my own cloth to clothe my family and grind the corn that I picked into meal to make bread. I am really thankful that I don't have to share a fifteen by fifteen foot cabin with my husband and ten kids! (really? How did they have ten kids living like that? I'm just saying.) I am glad that my ancestors paved the way for me. I'm not sure that I would have what it takes survive.

Cabin that was home to a family of twelve

On that note, enjoy the creature comforts and have a wonderful weekend.

Krissy

1 comment: